This is some kind of challenge, even in the privacy of one’s own room.
Bobby McFerrin’s Daily Singing Exercise
by Nancy Rosenbaum, producer
The musician Bobby McFerrin describes the art and act of improvisation as “simply motion, just the courage to keep moving.” In the audio above (from this week’s show “Catching Song”), he offers a three-week challenge for building improvisational muscles and describes how it works. Here are the steps:
- Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Open up your mouth and sing.
- Don’t stop for 10 minutes.
- Do this every day for three weeks.
Sounds pretty simple, right? McFerrin, however, warns that every inch, atom, and molecule of your being will want to bail. Self-judgment will creep in. But don’t falter. Keep going. McFerrin holds open the tantalizing promise that, in a few short weeks, you’ll see a change.
So, who’s up for the challenge?
Once you’ve tried McFerrin’s improvisational workout, we’d love to hear what it was like. What surprised you? Delighted you? Share your reflections here in the comments section. You can even record yourself and send in your improvisational vocal creations here at (612) 326-4044. If enough people participate, we’ll produce an audio montage and post it to the blog.
Are you in?
- rorowe reblogged this from beingblog and added:
- newsbiasedsu likes this
- drwh0 reblogged this from beingblog and added:
- koyl reblogged this from beingblog
- koyl likes this
- pressedpages likes this
- joshuaguero likes this
- americanpublicmedia reblogged this from beingblog
- authenticbee reblogged this from kayds
- authenticbee likes this
- kayds reblogged this from birnblog and added:
- prosperparadigm likes this
- birnblog reblogged this from beingblog
- beingblog posted this